Tuesday, 27 July 2010

July Days

We’ve had all seasons in one day today…. I watched a beautiful sunrise this morning – at 6.30 the sky had a delicious lemon tinge in the east, then about half an hour or so later the last few clouds were blown away leaving a clear sky just waiting for the sun to rise and paint it blue. The morning was delightfully warm and I had the windows open for the birdsong over breakfast.

The kitchen was filled with the smell of baking – I made a kibbled grain loaf, chocolate chip biscuits and cheese and herb muffins. There’s nothing like home cooked goodies in the tins.

By the time I’d finished that, the day had changed, wintery showers skittered across the landscape bringing icy blasts of westerly wind to remind me which season it really is. I wrapped up well and went and mowed the Olive Grove. This is where I often catch sight of the odd cock pheasant or tiny tomtit, but none today. The dairy cows over the back fence are producing calves on a daily basis, and there are 6 little lambs at last count…. I love the sound of the sheep, and to see the lambs bouncing across the green fields never fails to bring a smile to my lips.

Job done, I headed back to the farmhouse, stopping to gather some dead woody weeds, twigs and she-oak needles with which to light the fire later. The land provides for many of my needs, something I have been grateful for when times where tough a few years ago when I was widowed. Luxuries like firelighters where out of the question, but when you know where to collect strips of stringybark, rich in eucalyptus oil and lovely fragrant pinecones it really doesn’t matter! I forage for puffballs and other edible funghi, collect blackberries, and have a never-ending supply of mulch courtesy of the She-Oaks fallen needles.

The farm supplies me with firewood, wild watercress, and the river provides irrigation water. Even trapping the all-destructive possum means my neighbour’s cat gets a tasty dinner or three. Nature regularly fills our water tanks with the purest of rainwater, far sweeter than any bottled water you may buy. The house was designed to allow the winter sun in all day; many visitors assume I have underfloor heating. In summer it’s so easy to throw the bifolding windows and doors wide open to the terrace and relax in the shade of the grapevines. The first meal I ever shared with my lovely husband, David, was eaten alfresco thus! And I’m sure the romance of that setting and the pure luxury of having him cook for me where elemental in our falling in love!

Now it feels like spring – I can see the Early Cheer waving their waxy heads under the fruit trees, hear the baa-ing of sheep on the wind, the sun is back out, sky is blue and the sun is streaming through my bedroom windows – Ally is stretched out on my bed basking like a lizard. David is due here on Friday, accompanied by his parents this time, Dad will come over and we will eat roast chicken by the fire. Life's good.

3 comments:

Rob-bear said...

WOW! Life is good, indeed.

That's an inspiring post, for me.

Irish Eyes said...

As always CG., you paint a picture of life, as it is. It is, indeed, good, and long may it remain so for you. Glorious blog as always. Say hi to David for me.
IE
xx

Rob-bear said...

I hear it's been pretty wet in NZ this winter. Hope you're high and dry, cowgirl.