Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Seasons Greetings from Riverdale

Summer is well underway here at Riverdale. One thing I miss about the northern hemisphere is the lovely long springs – here we are lucky to get, oh, five or six weeks and then BANG! the heat hits us! We are officially on record as having had the driest ever recorded spring this year ….. doesn’t bode too well for summer grass for my cows if this carries on. I’m very thankful that I gave the meadows a break of a month back in October – that rest will stand me in good stead. I have a herd of 24 now – having acquired half a dozen purebred Murray Greys – and what superb beasts they are, just gorgeous and very, very cute with their pale coats and dark points. Had a bit of a do with a wee calf who went down with pneumonia – had to get the vet, and it was touch and go for a few days but I’m happy to say that he seems to be on the mend now. He’s very small though and I have to be careful which paddocks I put him so he can reach the water troughs.

Dave & I went to the Whangarei Agricultural & Pastoral Show on Sunday and have to say it was a great day out. I love seeing the beef breeds – particularly the Herefords, just stunning. The bulls were massive – wow! My favourite took out the Supreme Champion award so I was smiling. The sun shone, we enjoyed the exhibits and the watching the hacks & hunters soaring over their jumps, munched on a steak sandwich, patted the woolly sheep, alpacas, Nubian goats, donkeys and more. Marvelled at the beautifully hued poultry, and bought some local Northland wine and a bottle of Lemoncello at the food tent. Chatted to a few people and bought a couple of Christmas presents. A good day.

On Sunday night we enjoyed a delicious meal at Tonic, a local restaurant that has consistantly delivered on every level since it opened its doors, ooh, more than a decade ago I guess. They do a wicked Sunday special with two courses for $38 and three for $45 – impossible to beat, and the food is sooooo good! Judging by the number of other diners there, we are not alone in our appreciation! We also had a really tasty meal down at our local pub on Friday night – took Dad, as we had all had a hard day – so lucky to have them just a short drive away!

The B&B is at full capacity – not many gaps left this season now. Have had some lovely guests come through from Korea, Britain, NZ, and Australia. It’s always so touching to read their comments in the visitors book and know that they have had a pleasant stay.

We are gearing up for Christmas, and it will be lovely to have Dave’s Mum & Dad here too this year. The highlight will be the Caledonian Games on New Year’s Day down at Waipu. Can’t wait!

Merry Christmas everyone – hope you all have a safe and happy year to follow.

Sammi & Dave

5 comments:

Ivy said...

Thinking of you today . Wow you have come a long way during the last two years and I am soo glad you did.
Love Ivy

Rob-bear said...

Thanks for all the lovely insights. Just great!

I still have trouble visualizing Christmas in 30°C weather (in the southern hemisphere). But I guess it's what you learn to live.

Blessed Christmas.

Cait O'Connor said...

A very merry Christmas to you too. I am so pleased life is so good for you now.

GB said...

Good to hear that all's good and going so well for you.

I wish you both an enjoyable Christmas and a very happy New Year celebration and good health, peace and happy hearts for the coming year.

Sandi McBride said...

Hope your holidays were treasured ones, you two! And that the New Year will be filled with all you need. Been out abit, but back and couldn't wait to come by and say hello!
hugs
Sandi